Monday, December 29, 2014

Paddling the Estuaries of Clam Bay

December 27th

The girls and I got up late this morning. I had checked tides yesterday and wanted to be in the water by 8am which meant getting up by 6:30. But once up, the fog was so thick I was no longer in a hurry.
After getting our breakfasts out of the way and giving them their morning walk I went to the garage to load up. This morning I decided to take the Perception Sport 9.5 to explore Clam Bay and it's estuaries.

Historically, Clam Bay was tidally connected to the Gulf of Mexico via Wiggins Pass to the north, Doctor's Pass to the south and centrally located Clam Pass. The northern and southern ends of Clam Bay became isolated in the 1950's when roads were constructed leaving Clam Pass as the only connection to the Gulf.

Captain Mike off on another adventure!!
With the kayak on the car I grabbed my camera, water bottle, life jacket, phone paddle and water shoes, loaded them into the car and drove to Clam Pass Park at the end of Seagate. The "put in" is located at the end of the parking lot near the start of the boardwalk to the beach.

The path to the "Put-In" at Clam Pass Park
After parking the car I unloaded the kayak and carried it down to the water along with all my gear. Switching to my water shoes I pushed off and climbed aboard. It was 8:30am.

Ready to hit the water!
Definitely foggy!
The fog was slowly lifting as I started to head up Outer Bay toward the pass.

The "Put In" is at Marker 1
The estuary spans approximately 600 acres and includes an elongated system of shallow bays and mangrove swamps that connect to the Gulf at Clam Pass. Today Clam Bay is almost entirely surrounded by development.

On a side note, I captain small electric boats taking people on eco-tours of the Gordon River for the Conservancy of Southwest Florida. The Conservancy is assisting in the restoration efforts of Clam Bay by monitoring the mangrove ecosystem for recovery and growth.

"Snake Bird" waiting for breakfast
As I paddled North towards the smallest drawbridge in Florida, I passed one of the numbered channel markers with an Anhinga perched atop it, waiting for lunch to pass by. Anhingas and Cormorants are also called "Snake Birds" because they have no oil in their feathers and, like a loon, sit very low in the water with just their neck sticking out of the water looking like a snake.

Nearing the drawbridge
The drawbridge was built to accommodate several sailboat owners living along the shore of Outer Clam Bay. The drawbridge portion is about 6' wide and on the right in the photo. Over the years the mangroves have continued to encroach into the waterway. Along with continuous shoalling, the channel is only deep enough for passage at high tide but with the mangroves blocking most of the channel  I don't think it's used any more.

Continuing under the bridge, the outgoing tide pulled me northward. Rounding the last barrier island I entered the channel leading to Clam Pass an the Gulf. The current got much stronger the closer I got to the Pass.




He's actually on the other side of this flock

Just before entering the Gulf I managed to ground myself on a shoal and get my camera out. Both sides of the pass had large flocks offshore birds, pelicans, egrets and herons.

After taking some photos I struggled  against the current back through the pass to the start of the Mangrove tunnels at marker 13 and the south boardwalk.

Yellow Crowned Night Heron with Breakfast

Entering the Mangrove Tunnels

From marker 13 to marker 24 I wound my way north on a twisty, turney path. At one point I passed a what looked like a Yellow Crowned Night Heron standing on a sand bar with a crab in his beak trying to figure out the best way to swallow it.

Snowy Egret


Reaching Inner Clam Bay, I slowly paddled the half mile up the bay past marker 25 and under the north boardwalk entering the most scenic of the Mangrove tunnels. All along this stretch of the estuary, the overhanging mangrove cast their reflections on the still water prompting several stops for photos.


What will I find around the next bend?

Symmetry of Earth and Water

Upper Clam Bay

By the time I reached marker 31 and entered Upper Clam Bay the current of the outgoing tide was nearing its peak, so I decided to turn around and take advantage of the tide. Quickly slipping back through the Mangrove tunnels to Inner Clam Bay.

Along this half mile stretch across Inner Clam Bay I was treated to school after school of Mullet jumping and dancing along the surface of the water. They were all around me and put on quite a show! Unfortunately, every time I pointed my camera in one direction they broke out in another so I gave up and continued paddling.


Mud Flats

Everybody is looking for Breakfast

After completing the last section of Mangrove Tunnels and arriving back at marker 13, I expected the tide to have reached its low point (10:15am) and give me a half hour of slack tide but I forgot to adjust for the distance from Gordon Pass where my tide reading is set, so I was about 45 minutes to an hour off in my calculations.





Winding through the mud flats I passed several groups of birds. In order to stop for photos I had to ground on the shore or risk being carried back toward the pass.

Osprey having a nice fish breakfast!

The sun is finally coming out

Arriving back at the "Pull Out"

By now it was 11:15 and I still had a mile to go. As the sun finally whisked away the last of the fog I reached the "pull out" to complete my journey. What a great paddle! And just in time for lunch!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

http://get-mcsa-mcse-training-indore.blogspot.in/ ......Nice Blog....

Edgars said...

Nice blog and great pictures! Reminds me time when we were driving with our rental car from http://car-traveler.com/ and it was pleasure to drive