Thursday, February 4, 2010

Webster Flea Market

Monday the 1st

A break in the weather, we still have some sun and a mostly warm day. We had planned to go to Webster today for the weekly "Giant Webster Flea Market". But while Tina was drying her hair all the power went out in one half of the coach. Oh Boy!!! Electrical problems. Dang!! Oh well, I figured it had to be something simple like a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker.

After checking everything including the outside power and finding nothing wrong, I thought it must be the GFI outlet Tina was plugged into. With much trepidation, I managed to pull the unit out of the wall above the bathroom sink and then it was off to WallMart to get a new one.

When I got back, I struggled to get the new one connected but finally made it with much cursing under my breath, but wisely I didn't put it back in the wall. With a circuit tester in hand, I checked the outlet... nothing. So Tina and I went around the coach and checked all the outlets and found out that half the coach worked and half didn't. Very strange and of course very different from simple house wiring because there is an inverter as part of the system.

By this time I had run out of ideas and decided we needed to call in an expert. Fortunately there was a Mobile Repair service that could come over withing a couple of hours. So we cancelled our plans for the Flea Market ad settled down to wait for our technician to show up.

Several hours later, the technician showed up and ran a series of checks but couldn't figure it out. Eventually we found that one of the circuit breakers on the inverter had tripped. But resetting it didn't fix the problem, so he was stumped as well. After taking down the information on our power system he said he would call the manufacturer and see if they could com up with a solution.

Some time after he left I decided to take the inverter out of the loop so I went out and flipped both circuit breakers on the inverter. Amazingly, the electrical system became fully energized and all circuits went live. When the tech called back he said the problem was probably the inverter based on what he had been told by the manufacturer. When I told him about taking the inverter offline and everything working again, he said it was definitely the culprit.

Since our day was pretty much shot we decided to just hang out and wait for tomorrow.

No photos today.

No comments: