Saturday, April 17, 2010

Bike Riding in Hemet

Thursday the 15th

In the morning, I went over and played pool with Larry for a couple of hours while Tina joined the morning water volleyball game. There are actually two pools set up for water volleyball and they get up to fifteen people on a side. She had an exciting time leaping and hammering the ball into the opposing court. When I got done, i went home and changed into my swim suit and returned to the pool. We had lunch pool-side then spent another two hours getting wet, reading, getting wet, reading, having a cool one, etc, etc.!!

Since it was sunny with no clouds, it was a good day for checking out the area. After taking the kids to the dog park we went out riding to see what we could see. Hemet turns out to be much bigger than expected, with large housing developments and lots of retail mini-malls scattered about. We covered about seven miles and only saw a tenth of the area or less. We actually have several rides mapped out but mostly in the more rural areas.

After out brief tour, we headed over to the pool for the rest of the afternoon. After dinner, I went over to the shuffleboard arena to learn how to play shuffleboard. The resort has a professional shuffleboard facility and this summer will host the US and German teams for international championship play.

The tournament director, gave me and another fellow some basic rules, told us to select a pole and bid us get in a few practice pushes. The pucks slide almost effortlessly down the court and it took me all night to get a feel for what I needed to do. After a bit we were assigned lanes and partners and the fun began.

It really was fun even though I was frustrated at how difficult it was to control my speed. By the end of play I had achieved the lowest score, having gone backwards, ending up with minus twenty, earning the booby prize (return of my $1 entry - heheheh!! We plan on going over by ourselves this weekend to give Tina a chance to try it, since there is a game every Friday evening.

To soothe my tattered ego I went over to the billiard room and shot pool with Larry for an hour, doing very well, then went home. Tina had spent the evening relaxing and trying to let her shoulder and arm muscles relax. Turns out she was more energetic in the morning volleyball gaame than she realized. Setting the alarm for 5:45 AM we hit the sack.

No photos today.

No comments: