Saturday, December 12, 2009

More Quiet Time

Our Week in Review

Monday we had planned to drive to the Everglades but another cold front rolled in and we had off and on rain showers. So we decided to move the drive to later in the week and spent time relaxing instead. That evening, a neighbor (Fernando from Toronto) and I went to the Sharks Den and shot in the 8-Ball Tournament. There were some pretty good players there, but with smoking allowed, I didn't play my best. Maybe better luck next week.


Tuesday was Tina’s day with the ladies. The monthly ladies luncheon was at noon and about 40 to 50 ladies attended. They all brought something to eat and also a toy to donate to the Naples Fire Department. Several representatives of the NFD attended also. We are volunteering to help distribute the toys with the NFD the last week before Christmas.

While Tina was at lunch, I headed out on a ride to the Everglades which are only about fifteen miles away. I had planned out a route that would take me southeast of Naples down through a number of residential areas and over towards an area south of the Florida Sports Park, home of the Swamp Buggy Races. I got to Sabal Palm Road which was supposed to head into the everglade. The pavement ended about a mile down the road (not expected) but it looked pretty solid so I thought I might as well see where it went.

Three miles later I was passed by some hunters in a beat up old van. They made a turn onto "G" Road so I followed, skirting several big mud puddles. Being curious, I continued forward, at times having to walk my bike across several unrideable sections or around mud puddles that were probably fifteen inches deep and stretched from one side of the road to the other. Too bad I didn't have my camera to record this ride.

Eventually I figured it was time to turn around and retrace my route. There was absolutely no sign of life other than a few birds in the scrublands. Besides, nobody knew where I was and even though I had my cell phone with me, I was in Panther country. So, back I went winding around through the everglades along six miles of road better suited to my mountain bike rather than my road bike, but it was fun. Once I was back on the pavement, it was a quick ride back to the RV Park and a shower. The rest of the afternoon was spent at the pool with a book and chaise lounge.


Wednesday was the men’s lunch at the Captain’s Cabin. About twenty guys from the RV Park showed up to play pool, have a beer and a bite to eat. I partnered up with another neighbor (Rollie from NC) and we held the table for two hours. After lunch, Tina and I went for a short bike ride before dinner. Later after dinner we went to the clubhouse and played Eucher for a couple of hours.


Thursday we took the dogs for a drive out towards Marco Island to check out a rumor of guided kayak tours of the back bayous. Turns out there is one available on Wednesdays and Fridays so we got the phone number and will schedule a trip for early January. Later that evening we went to the clubhouse and joined six other couples for a pot luck dinner. Tina brought a special salad and we had a pleasant meal and visited for a couple of hours. Very nice!


Friday we drove to Rookery Bay Preserve (http://www.rookerybay.org/), part of the SW Florida Conservancy. Rookery Bay is nationally recognized as one of the few remaining undisturbed mangrove estuaries in the United States. The bay provides habitat for recreationally and commercially important fish and shellfish. Dolphins, manatees, and birds use the shallow waters for feeding. Established in 1978, the reserve is located in Collier County between Naples and Marco Island. The core of the reserve is 12,500 acres of open water, mangrove wetlands, and pine and oak uplands. When the Aquatic Preserve and Cape Romano/Ten Thousand Islands Aquatic Preserve are included, the area managed by the Conservancy is over 112,000 acres. The photo is a model of a Polka-dot Bat Fish, one of the strangest looking fish in the sea. Its pectoral fins are quite flexible and situated on arm-like stalks which it uses these to "walk" along the bottom. There was a small one in one of the aquarium tanks.

There are twelve habitats in the Reserve and adjacent lands, including Coastal Xeric Scrub, Cypress Dome, Freshwater Marsh, Coastal Hammock, Saltwater Marsh and Mangrove Forests. A unique upland feature of Rookery Bay are shell mounds. These are mostly kitchen middens and refuse sites used by aboriginal Indians. We spent some time with one of the volunteer scientists who was doing a feeding of several of the fish species found in the bays and estuary then headed for the boardwalk where we were able to walk out into several of the different habitats.

After returning home we took the kids for a long walk then spent the afternoon reading and enjoying the nice weather.

To see all our photos, click on:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mjdolanski

1 comment:

Don and Diane said...

Polka Dot Bat fish?!! Wow!
I would have that they were in the same classification as the Fur Fish of Lake Chelan.