Monday, April 13, 2009

My Birthday

Thursday the 9th -- My Birthday

Happy Birthday to me, happy birthday to me… Today is my 62nd birthday and I feel like I’m still 25. Well, maybe closer to 45, but other than a few less well oiled joints I can still do most everything I want and nearly as well as when I was 45 – heh, heh!! Hey, give me a break, I said nearly as well. To celebrate, I got a special breakfast of French Toast with fresh strawberries smothered in whipped cream!! Yum! After breakfast we cleaned up and got squared away for the drive to Myrtle Beach.

After pulling out of our space we hooked up the car and pulled out of the campground. Merging onto SR-17 we drove north through Charleston. As we get into Georgetown, Tina spotted a roadside booth selling woven sweet grass baskets. Pulling off the road we hike back and Tina selects a couple of very nice (smaller) baskets. Back in the rig we’re back on the road again crossing the many rivers and waterways that traverse the area. Eventually we intersect I-95 north and continue until once again we get on SR 17. Getting to Garden City we exit to Business 17 along the coast and follow it up to Myrtle Beach. Once in town we turn left onto 5th Ave S, go two blocks and pull into the KOA. After setting up camp we took the dogs for a long walk to explore the area then it was back to the coach to get ready for my birthday dinner celebration.

It seems the King invited me and my lovely wife to join him and his court for dinner and a jousting match! We arrived at the castle and were presented to the King and Queen, given celebration hats and directed to our front row seats. The castle darkened and as candles were lit about the thrones the herald announced their highnesses. As the King and Queen took their places all were welcomed to the feast and bid enjoy the courtly entertainment. With that the show began, serving wenches began serving and we watched as a spectacle unfolded documenting the loss and return of the prince, the tournament of champions and signing of the peace between rival kingdoms. With flagons full we ate our roast fowl and pig followed by a pastry dessert.

Eventually the feast and tournament were over and with a final bow to the nobles and their ladies the King and Queen retired to their chambers. Tina and I returned to our carriage and returned to our humble abode having enjoyed another wonderful evening of revelry. What a way to end a birthday!!

To see all our photos click on the following link:
Distance for this leg, 171 miles. Total for the trip so far, 6,162 miles.

2 comments:

Don and Diane said...

More please. A few more pictures of the statuary would be nice. Three great places in three days! Nice! Wish you were here ... trade places ... heheheh.

Don and Diane said...

Cap'n!
H A P P Y B I R T H D A Y ! !