Thursday, October 13, 2011

San Angelo to Mingus

Oct 13th

We got up early this morning to the sounds of one of the dogs being sick on the bed. It seems Wicket got into something on her walk last night. When I got up to get some paper towels I saw that it was nearly 7:00 AM so we decided to get up anyway. After walking and feeding the kids Tina and I had breakfast and waited for it to get light out.

By 8:00 AM the sun was up and I could see to start getting everything ready to trave. After getting the car up on the trailer and secured Tina started the coach to bring in the slides while I disconnected power, water and cable. Just as I was closing the last compartment Tina appeared and said the passenger side slide wouldn’t move.

We spent the next half hour trying everything to get it to come in but nothing worked. You could hear the solenoid trying to engage, so at this point I figured it might be a loose wire or something wrong with the electric motor. Nothing that I could deal with.

So I headed over to the office to see who they recommended for Mobile RV Repairs. I got a phone number and talked to the service lead. He couldn’t promise anything sooner than this afternoon. He did ask me if the slide drive was electric or hydraulic and I told him I thought it was electric. He asked me to call him back around noon to get a time for the tech to come out.

After getting off the phone I started thinking maybe I should add more fluid to the hydraulic reservoir for the jacks and, just in case the slides are hydraulically driven, try one more time to bring the passenger slide in. We went out and used the remaining ATF fluid to fill the reservoir, then came in and tried to bring in the slide. It came in. Well! Ya larn sumtin new evry day – heh, heh!

With the slides in and jacks up, we finished getting ready and pulled out of camp headed for the San Angelo 306 Loop Road which became I-67 E as we left town headed into the heart of Texas Hill Country. We followed I-67 through Ballinger and up to Coleman getting on TX-206 to Cross Plains where we stopped at a DQ for lunch.

This was a fortuitous stop as we were parked in an Exxon allowing me to get diesel while Tina went in and purchased a gallon of water (for coffee and the dogs)  and two quarts of ATF Fluid. Pulling out of Cross Plains we got back on TX-206 for the run to I-20. 

On the pad at Cactus Rose RV Park
Merging onto I-20 at Cisco we continued east for another 45 miles getting off at Mingus to spend the night in the Cactus Rose RV Park which is right next to the freeway. No one was in the office so we just pulled into a spot and set up. No cable so we’ll read and watch a movie later. Tina is grilling steaks for dinner.

Distance driven today, 170 miles. Total for the trip so far, 2,819 miles.

No photos today.

No comments: